Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Schiavo case

I admit that earlier this week I said I wasn't going to comment on the case of Terri Schiavo, and I will partly keep that promise. I simply cannot comment on who is right here, her husband or her family. I don't know the facts, and it would be unfair.

Nevertheless, we could have a look at the circus around her. First, I have noticed that every time her parents show up anywhere, they have two monks with large crosses around their neck as body guards. This has surprised me tremendously. Maybe they went to a public relations firm and asked: "What can we do to win over public support?" It must have been a fairly cheap PR firm, because this parading around of their holiness is completely turning me off. I think that from a moral standpoint (there's that word again!), the family have a strong case, but let's leave out the wrapping paper here, shall we?

Another thing, related: I noticed just yesterday on the news someone demonstrating with a large sign which said: "Thou shalt not kill." To that person, I would say: "Rightly so brother, and neither shalt thou vote for people that kill."

A little consistency is all I ask for.

Something I haven't heard anyone mention yet is capital punishment. Why is this case so big, while every week people who CAN talk and reason and interact and all that ARE getting killed. Are there various levels of human life, others more worthwhile than some? As if we live in some kind of Indian cast system? Don't get me wrong, killers should be locked up, but that counts for all of them...

Thou shalt not kill means that we shouldn't kill (for those who are unfamiliar with the language Moses and God spoke to each other). To my knowledge, there wasn't some other paragraph which explained its exceptions. For those of you who haven't read the bible in a while.

Anyway, seemingly contrary to all the above, I don't know if euthanasia equals killing, but that's another discussion.

Have a nice easter holiday.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that the original Hebrew text states "Thou shalt not murder". Which I think is a tautology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home