Tuesday, March 22, 2005

On Morality

I have been thinking about morality for a while now. I guess it's related to the fuss around the life or death of Terri Schiavo, about which I will only comment that, if she were to be let to die, I think that starving her is the worse way to do it. Surely they can think of some other more human way? People on death row get better treatment than that. Although the "she should be dead in two weeks" -element surely adds suspense, I just hope it's over soon, whatever the outcome.

Anyway, I was thinking about morality, and I just wanted to say that I am disappointed with the widespread idea that religious people are more moral. This is something I hear a lot these days. Disappointed is putting it light. I detest this notion, to be frank.

Especially at the time of the U.S. elections last year, I heard things like: "I am going to vote for Bush anyway because of his morality. I love it that he is a man who prays and is not afraid to say it."

What is it with (some) people who believe in God that they think they have some kind of exclusivity on calling their actions more moral than those who don't believe, or those that believe in another god?

I think morality is a purely human matter. Exclusively in fact. Moral values are those that preserve life, that fight for equality in the world, water and debt relieve for all, freedom of speech and thought. Stuff like that. As such, if you cannot put human values before religious ones, you have no right to call yourself more moral. Even if you support human values IN THE NAME of your religion (and let's be frank, I am talking about the gun-waving right-wing Christians here more than anyone else), you are taking a detour. Morality is about doing the right thing for others, without respect for your own preservational, conservative or religious instincts. Without having to contrast your choice against some belief-system before knowing whether your instinct is right or wrong. Morality is also about preserving other life forms, such as the environment, and animals other than human beings.

That´s what I was thinking about.

As for the Schiavo-case, is anyone aware that she suffered the heart attack which led to her current state because of some diet she was following to lose weight? Now this sounds ironic to me. Let's all be moral people, and teach our children what's healthy and what's not, so they don´t have to kill themselves losing weight. This sounds like a truly worthwhile fight, unlike others we embark on.

I feel for Terri Schiavo, another victim of life in the spoilt Western world.

Peace for all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home